THE FLYER
Trending Stories
Top Headlines
Brother James Gaffney, FSC honored at student center grand openingOctober 1, 2018 by Derek SwansonThe grand opening ceremony for the new student center was held on Thursday, Sept. 27, and featured guest speakers such as Brother James Gaffney, FSC and Dr. David Livingston. After the speeches...Read more
Men's and women's soccer battle UIS on family dayOctober 1, 2018 by Tori FosterFamilies gathered at the Lewis Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 23, to watch the men’s and women’s soccer teams take on conference opponent University of Illinois Springfield during family day. The men’s team dropped the match 0-2 while the women’s team fought ...Read more
Drake's Take: We need a commitment to virtue for our judges and elected officialsOctober 1, 2018 by Jesse DrakeIn 1991, President George H.W. Bush nominated Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court. It seemed to be a historical moment, as he would be the first black conservative to get to serve on the highest ...Read more
Students prepare for the 2018 general electionOctober 1, 2018 by Bri BellLewis University’s Civic Engagement Committee partnered with Pi Sigma Alpha, the National Political Honor Society and Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority to host a voter registration booth for National Voter Registration Day. Students across campus were able to ...Read more
 'Insatiable' outrage pointed in the wrong direction
 The 'Bang' that ends it all
 LUPD encourage compliance over convenience
 Being a Lasallian is more important than ever in turbulent times
 Women's lacrosse prepares for debut season
BEFORE THE FLYER
The college newspaper was founded in 1933, although it was then called The Propeller. The Propeller was published until 1936, when lack of funds stopped the publishing of the newspaper. This lasted until 1947. During World War II the school was being used to train pilots. When a newspaper was published again in 1947, it did not have an official name. In October 1947, however, the revived paper was named The Shield. This name lasted until 1966. The Shield was named after the founder, Bishop Bernard J. Schiel.[citation needed] The school paper shortened its name to Shield in 1966, and published the paper in a magazine format. In 1969, the newspaper went through another name change, this time calling itself Nexus. This name lasted from 1969 to 1977. On January 31, 1978, the first volume of The Flyer was published. That name has been in place for the past 38 years.